Tuesday 18 June 2013

Dress Making

My fiance, Rob, is graduating from University after four years on the 16th July. Thus, I need a posh frock to wear. But of course, I'm not going to be buying one!

I saw this dress on Pinterest and just loved it. Though I wasn't fussed on the gathered top, or the binding/pleats round the bust, I knew I had to make a dress like this.

So I was straight on to Burda and found this pattern: Contour Bust Pattern. It's so cute and looking at photos of other peoples projects I knew that was what I wanted.

A couple of weeks ago I bought my material, this lovely green and a slightly off white for the contrast. I bought my zip and matching thread, too. Then today I took it all to my nana to see what she thought.

Unfortunately the photo I took of the pattern pieces on the material, ready to be cut out, got corrupted. But we ended up with 2 upper bust pieces (one for the front, and one as interfacing [different to how the pattern specifies]), 1 lower middle bust piece, 2 lower side bust pieces, and 2 back pieces (plus 2 pieces for back interfacing).

Each piece was extended on all sides allowing for a half inch seam, and for the lower pieces we added an extra two inches to the bottom, so it'll sit nicely on my waist and we also found that we had to extend the back panel pieces by about an inch each way (thankfully my nana has a seam ripped xD).

Then I sewed it all together, following the curves. This was the first time I sewed curves and I'm happy to say it went very well :).

Then I tried it on, and it fit perfect!


For the skirt of this dress, we're planning on making a very simple gathered skirt, we'll also be adding a halter neck strap and maybe a bow like in the original dress.

The next time I'm round (which should be Friday) we might make the skirt. Although I also have a petticoat to make for my future sister-in-law, to go under her prom dress.

All in all it went very well :) and I can't wait for it to be finished so I can wear it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment